Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Living Local

Nearly every Sunday morning I roll out of bed, grab my canvas tote bags and stroll down to the farmers market under the JFX. My morning ritual takes no more effort than driving to Safeway and I get much more out of the experience. Natural sunlight instead of florescent bulbs, and seasonal produce instead of a genetically modified object draw me in, but it is the people who keep bringing me back. I love talking to the vendors and trying food that may not be part of my grocery list.

I’m not the only one who feels this way. The farmers market is always crowded, thanks in part to the local food movement (and those hot, fresh donut holes with extra powdered sugar, I’m sure). People want to know where their food comes from and support the local economy. I feel the local arts community is part of the “living local” movement as well.

Take a look at the lobby during a Friday Night LIVE event. Performers from the Baltimore area (such as St. Veronica’s Steel Drum band, pictured) entertain as the crowd munches on complimentary samples from area restaurants and enjoys Happy Hour drink discounts. It can resemble the farmers market in many ways, with neighbors catching up and experiencing the talent Baltimore has to offer.

LIVE is also an opportunity to see the local establishments help each other. CENTERSTAGE promotes the performers and restaurants, performers talk about the LIVE party and show to their friends, who then go to dinner at a restaurant we promoted and then to a show at the theater! We get patrons who may not be familiar with theater or our plays that come knowing they will experience something new.

Just as the farmers market exposes me to new foods, CENTERSTAGE exposes patrons to new ideas and shows. Like many recent college graduates, I was only familiar with Thornton Wilder’s Our Town, but the CENTERSTAGE production of Wilder’s The Matchmaker introduced me to more of his great writing. I’m looking forward to Edward Albee’s
Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? because I’ve only seen the movie version and can’t wait to see the sharp dialogue and action happen only a few feet away from me.

There are numerous ways to engage with artists and the community at CENTERSTAGE with one of our
ongoing series. Baltimore presents opportunities to have fun and support local artists like no other city and it’s time we all took advantage of it. I’ll see you at the theater!

~Sarah Anne


No comments: