Friday, January 9, 2009

Not your typical musical? Caroline, or Change Ruminations

Some of the most interesting comments we’ve been getting in our feedback are from the audience members who don’t consider themselves fans of musicals— but yet they rave about Caroline. Just this morning we were told:

“My husband is not particularly fond of musicals, but hasn't stopped talking about the talented cast and how much he enjoyed the performance.”

and there have been many similar comments over the last few weeks…

“I have to admit that I’m not the world’s biggest fan of musical theater (other than Opera). My theater companion for the evening absolutely hates musical theater. You had me the moment the washing machine started singing. By intermission my friend had tears of joy in her eyes…”


“I wasn’t aware it was a musical, or operetta. Had I realized that at the time I probably would not have ordered the tickets. I’m not a fan of musicals. I find that most musicals give me a chance to catch up on my nap time. Once I realized what I had, I figured, what the heck, I’ll just put in some zzzzz time. I could not have been more wrong. The performances were as riveting as the story. I’ve recommended it to everyone who would listen to me. This was one of the best mistakes I’ve ever made.”

This has made me stop and wonder, what makes Caroline so different? Is it merely a talented cast that swoops you up with their enthusiasm? Or that playwright Tony Kushner makes you stop and think? That Jeanine Tesori has blended such an eclectic mix of musical styles that you are constantly surprised and wondering what will come next? A Hanukkah-themed Klezmer tune or a three-part harmony on “small changes” sung to a Christmas carol?

As part of my job I have the privilege of driving various members of our artistic team and cast to interviews around town (so next time you see one pop up on WJZ, you’ll know who’s sitting off camera!) and we recently discussed these questions as I took two Caroline cast members and the dramaturg to an interview.

One of the conclusions in our conversation was that this is a “thinking person’s musical.” You may not get as many toe-tapping songs that linger in your mind—but the ideas, the issues, the CHANGE will. As will Caroline and the choices she makes. Because what has been the next most interesting thing I’ve heard after “I don’t usually like musicals but….”

Everyone keeps telling me they wake up the next morning still thinking about the show.

Hopefully you will catch Caroline, or Change, entering its final week here, and have a chance to tell us what you thought!


(Photos: TOP: Te'Ra Cambpell, Adrienne Muller, and April Nixon as the Radio. BOTTOM: E. Faye Butler and Bradley Bowers. (C) Richard Anderson)

No comments: