Friday, November 7, 2008

Keep on Dancing!

Some would say it’s a glamorous job. Booking bands and finding exotic acts to perform for our Friday Night LIVE series. I’m not going to say that I think it’s glamorous...but I will say it has opened my eyes to how many things actually happen in Baltimore. Last Thursday is the perfect example of how one thing leads to another. I’m hanging out downstairs in Brewer’s Art after dinner, and an Argentinean friend of mine says, “Let’s go learn the tango!” What? The Tango? Argentinean Tango, no less? And where does this happen? The questions kept coming…who KNEW?

I end up in the upstairs lounge of Dionysus and feel like I’ve turned the clock back to a time when men and women danced with their eyes closed and their heads together. SIMPLY DIVINE. There were about 10 couples dancing slowly in the circle, no one in the middle disturbing the flow. You could hear the soft brush of shoes touch the hardwood floor. The music was from 1957 and sounded as if it were being played on a record...just the right amount of crackle! I sat on a couch that overlooked the dance floor. Mostly in amazement, I said nothing to anyone for at least 30 minutes, watching some of the most beautiful dancing I’d ever seen. Now, some people were better than others and you could tell teacher from student, but the environment was so...satisfying and peaceful and everyone was...blissful.

Immediately, my head went to, “How do I get people to have this same experience at CENTERSTAGE?” And then I realized that we a) don’t have a hardwood floor and b) an instruction of the simple steps takes a good hour and LIVE is only an hour. But that hasn’t stopped me before! It’s so important to me that people know how much of a treasure our community is. That there are all types of wonderful things happening in our fair city. And LIVE is a great platform to showcase those talents. As I write, Mark, the main Tango instructor, is trying to figure out if there’s a way to have them give instruction at Live. Worry not! I’m thinking hard as well and still going out on a nightly basis looking for, not necessarily those entertainers, but more of those moments. You know. The ones you just have to share because they mean something. Stay tuned...more good trolling to come!

~Charisse


Photo: Charm City Swing is one of the many groups to perform at Friday Night LIVE this season.

No comments: